Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Why are there no more Ned's?

I adore things that no longer exist. The way characters speak in Jane Austen's books, the days when dressing up didn't need an excuse, ladies always dressed as ladies and gents as gents, the fast wit of black and white movies, the snappy dialogue between silver-screen stars such as Carey Grant and Katherine Hepburn, the characters like Ned Seton who always say the most amusing thing in the most droll, negative way possible, and such and such and such...





I watched this movie tonight, "Holiday", again, which means it has to be one of my top five favorite movies of all times. I love the characters! Linda Seton, the black sheep of the family:

Linda: Well, young man, I hope you realize what you're getting yourself in for.

Johnny: Well, I must admit, I didn't know I was marrying into a house with an elevator.

Linda: Oh, it isn't only the elevator. The place is haunted.

Johnny: You mean ghosts?

Linda: Frightful ghosts all wearing stuffed shirts and mink-lined ties.

Johnny: Any skeletons in the closet?

Linda: You mean to say that Julia hasn't told you about Grandfather?

Johnny: No.

Linda: -leans in- He stole a railroad from the stockholders

Julia: Oh now, that's not true.

Linda: And of course you've heard about me. I'm the black sheep.

Johnny: Baaaaah!

Linda: That's a goat.

And there's Edward "Ned" Seton, the amusingly drunk brother:

Henry (butler): Good morning Mister Ned. Your father has just left for church, said he couldn't wait for you

Ned: Did I get home all right last night?

Henry: Everything is perfectly alright, sir.

Ned: How did I get this bump on my forehead?

Henry: You slipped once or twice, sir, in your bathroom.

Ned: Now listen, I want a drink in my room as soon as I get home from church.

Henry: Yes, sir.

-couple scenes later-

Ned: Who took the bottle of scotch out of my closet?

Linda: I don't know. What happened in church?

Ned: Oh, it was in my riding boots, a full quart.

Linda: Neddie, shut up. Did Julia tell Father?

Ned: -looking around old play room- I haven't been up here in years.

Linda: What did Father say?

Ned: We left Father talking about that guy to Mr. Hobson in front of church. Who's the egg anyway?

Johnny: I'm the egg.

Linda: And he's a good egg too. Johnny Case, my brother, Ned.

Johnny: How are you?

Ned: -slurs- Congratulations! Oh, this place gives me the creeps.

-Another couple of scenes later-

Ned, champagne bottle in hand: Happy New Year.

Linda: Same to you. -pause- What's it like to get drunk, Ned?

Ned: It's... How drunk?

Linda: Good and drunk.

Ned: Grand.

Linda: How is it?

Ned: Well, to begin with, it brings you to life.

Linda: Does it?

Ned: Mhmm. And after awhile you begin to know all about it. You feel, I don't know, important.

Linda: That must be good.

Ned: It is. -motions Linda closer- And then pretty soon the game starts.

Linda: What game?

Ned: A swell game, a terrible exciting game. See, you think clear as crystal, but every move, every sentence is a problem. That gets pretty interesting.

Linda: You get beaten, though, don't you?

Ned: Sure, but that's good, too. Then you don't mind anything, not anything at all. Then you sleep.

Linda: How long can you keep it up?

Ned: A long while. As long as you last.

Linda: Oh, Ned that's awful.

Ned: Think so? Other things are worse.

Linda: Where do you end up?

Ned: Where does everybody end up? You die. And that's all right, too.

Don't forget the lovable Potters, Johnny Case's best friends, who get along famously with Linda and Ned. Oh, to bring back such etiquette that even an insult can sound charming.

Thinking on my own cast of friends, I see clearly how much I've let my love of these cast-off oddities reside in my life. There's the black sheep with red hair... The friend who's always cutely dressed-she doesn't need an occasion... The beauty who doesn't let society rule her words... The pixie who flies towards freedom from the constraints pre-set for her... The calm, collected, thoroughly silly and anti-stereo-type fellow blonde... The playful and pouncing feline who's example of trueness to one's self is needed everywhere... The siren with two opposites attributes, power and peace, coinciding wonderfully together...

I'm honestly confused when I listen to those who speak of normalcy as something to be admired and envied. The reason for my confusion? I can't ever even IMAGINING wanting something so mundane and boring as a normal life. Yeah, I admit to wishing for less drama on occasion, but my reality is pretty darn exciting.

How 'bout yours? :-D

1 comment:

  1. There are no more Neds because our society no longer fosters the the necessary enviroment to produce such iconic figures. It's very sad really

    ReplyDelete